Gage Rethorn HP and the Order of the Phoenix pgs. 125-145 due. 4/10/13

Background Knowledge:
For my background knowledge, I’m going to talk about house elfs. House elfs are not elves from the North Pole and they do not work for Santa Claus. However, they do work for their master. You see, some time after a house elf is born, they are taken away from their mother/father and are sold into slavery. House elfs are bought by someone and become their slaves. This person becomes their master. Most masters of a house elf can be mean and can treat their house elf poorly. Masters usually have their house elfs wear rags and not good and nice clothing. However, some masters can be nice to their house elfs. But this is not very common.
If a house elf does not obey his master when given a command, the master will  either punish their house elf or the house elf will punish themselves. This can mean that they light themselves on fire, make themselves starve for one week, you get the point.
Those who treat their house elfs nicely and stuff try to persuade other masters from being so mean and to start treating their house elfs more like human beings and not like animals. Some even think that some people shouldn’t even have house-elfs; they think that house elfs should live in peace with humans and should live normal lives and not be slaves.
Summary:
125- 135:
Later that day, Harry and Mr. Weasley travel to London (in the real world) to go to Harry’s hearing. Since Mr. Weasley had lived in the Wizard for all of his life and knew almost nothing about the Muggle world, he had Harry kind of give him knowledge about everything in the Muggle World. By this, I mean that since people in the Wizard world are a little less advanced than we are, they’ve never heard of telephones, cars, e-mail, iPads, televisions, radio stations, radios, airplanes, etc. They don’t even know how to use our kind of money. But since Harry is familiar with all that stuff, Mr. Weasley let Harry pay for tickets to ride a subway. Harry and Mr. Weasley traveled to their destination. What was it? Well…
It was an old, abandoned, broken down telephone booth. But this was no ordinary telephone booth. It’s a magical telephone booth. This is a telephone booth that can teleport any wizard/witch to a certain destination. When Harry and Mr. Weasley stepped inside, Mr. Weasley began typing in a code using the numbers on the telephone machine. When he did this, a female voice spoke from the machine and told Harry and Mr. Weasley that they were traveling to the Ministry of Magic. When they arrived, Mr. Weasley took Harry to his office. However, a couple minutes later, a business employee came into the office and told him that the hearing was originally scheduled to be at 11:00am. but, the employee told Mr. Weasley that Harry’s hearing was moved to right now, at exactly 8:00 am.
So, Mr. Weasley hurried Harry to the courtroom and had Harry go in the courtroom alone. When Harry asked Mr. Weasley why he couldn’t come in with him. Mr. Weasley said that he wasn’t allowed come into the courtroom. Harry opened the door and walked in.
136- 145:
Harry walks in the courtroom. The judge has Harry sit down in this chair which is in the middle of the courtroom. The judge begins asking Harry questions about the night in which he saved Dudley with his patronus. Harry answers all the questions. The judge doesn’t believe him. A patronus can only be used when a dementor is around. A patronus is a spell that Harry had used to save Dudley. But, the judge believes that Harry was just using the dementors as a cover up for using illegal. But as we all know, Harry didn’t not use magic illegally.
Dumbledore, who is in the courtroom, helps Harry out by bringing up a witness who was there at the scene. He brought up Ms. Figg, the lady who helped carry Dudley back home and knew a lot about dementors since she was a squibb. Ms. Figg was asked by the judge to tell in exact detail everything that had happened from that night. When she was finished, the judge still not believe her. Will this mean that Harry will be expelled after all?
3 Meta:
Questioning- How is it that Mr. Weasley knew what he was doing in that telephone booth and knew exactly where he needed to go? I think that he knew what he was doing because I think that he has done this before. I still find that confusing since by the way the book worded it it sounded as though he knew nothing about the Muggle World.
Evaluating- I feel suspense picking up in my book. When reading these pages I felt tension and wonder spreading throughout my body. I wanted to keep reading, but I felt as though I should before I explode in wonder.
Monitoring- Why is it that nobody believes him?
Well, he is a child. And sometimes people don’t just wanna listen to children because they think that they’re annoying and such. Kind of like Mr. Poe.

7 thoughts on “Gage Rethorn HP and the Order of the Phoenix pgs. 125-145 due. 4/10/13

1. I love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, that you put background knowledge about the elves because I think before not one really know much about them and now I feel so much more smartical about that topic. I really couldn’t find anything that I can’t stand in this so bravo very good job.

2. To answers your questioning you did say that these telephone booths would take you anywhere in the wizard world. Doesn’t that meant that the telephone booths are around the wizard world? one of the reasons why nobody believes him is because HE IS HARRY POTTER the one that SURVIVED VOLDEMORT. Wouldn’t people hate him and want to ruin his life just because he did that. (yes I do know technically his mom saved him.) Great job with the background knowledge you explained the house elves well but one question what happens what the owner gives a house elf cloths?

• To answer your first question, Yes. To answer your second question, I would like to say no. You see, in the Muggle World there are secret locations that wizards can use to get to the Muggle World if there is no way back. Only wizards and witches can see these passages. Oh and I forgot to mention, if a house elf’s master gives him/her clothing, they become free. However, some house elfs keep working for their masters if they receive clothing because some of the masters can be nice to their house elfs.

3. I love this blog a lot! And really liked how you did a background knowledge on elves. That help us out a lot. In your background knowledge it looked like you really wanted us to understand it. Into accomplish that. I have no problem understanding this at all!

I also like your summary a lot! It was very easy-to-read and I love that it sounded like you were telling me this. You got all the main details and main parts so this means it totally easy to understand. This was awsome!

There is one questions I had though. It’s just questions I wondering about. Did Mr. Weasley and Harry know It’s a magical telephone booth? But other than this your Metas were great this is awesome!

4. Gage I like how you split it up in to background knowledge and just a summary it wasn’t just one summary there nothing I found that couldn’t understand very well